[WBEL-users] steps to help recover data from a crashed system? (boot drive crashed, need to get data from data drive)

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Mon Feb 13 06:53:06 CST 2006

goto http://www.knoppix.net/get.php  Knoppix has saved me on a few
occaisions during a crashed system for recovering data.

Boot up to knoppix, it should detect your drives and copy the data off
via a smb mounted share, scp etc...  My personl fav is piping tar into
ssh to a remote system to maintain ownerships and file permissions like:

cd /
tar cf - * | ssh root at remotehost "cd savedir/ ; tar xf - "

supply your passwd and sit back.

-Jeff