[WBEL-users] steps to help recover data from a crashed system? (boot drive crashed, need to get data from data drive)

khaqq khaqq at free.fr
Mon Feb 13 10:27:28 CST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:19:34 -0500
"Jeff O'Brien" <jobrien at ntisys.com> wrote:

> After each copy over, I did rm -rf  the savedir.  Both methods seem to
> work and retain permissions.

It could be that tar is aliased -p in your /etc/profile or .bashrc . Last
time I checked, tar did not preserve permissions by default (I was using
a Gentoo boot CD to decompress a stage install on the hard drive).
Uncompressing the stage without the -p resulted in totally mangled
permissions on the system.

khaqq