[WBEL-users] steps to help recover data from a crashed system? (boot drive crashed, need to get data from data drive)

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Mon Feb 13 15:54:48 CST 2006

Dale,

I actually just had an exactly similar failure.  I had a mail/web/ftp
server, 2 drives with the /var /pub dirs on the only accessible drive.
Luckily I was in the process of testing and upgrading when the primary
drive died, so I had a few config files( passwd/shadow/group/aliases).

with the knoppix boot disk you should see if you can access you're
broken drive at all, if not recovering the /var partition of the good
drive will work.  I'd take note of the file permissions for areas of
that directory branch before it gets trashed.  ls -al > dir-perms.log or
something.

I have a question about your parity error.  What is it coming from?  a
scsi controller, bios?  It might be memory, a memtest86+ boot disk might
be helpful as well.