[WBEL-users] Like a rescue CD, . but not really - to load various distributions from Network

Alon js at wsco.com
Mon Jan 23 06:38:59 CST 2006

Hi Will,

I have a KVMoverIP so all I need is the actual install process, no need for
defaulting to boot from HD, as I have
BIOS level access, which means I can change the 'First Boot Device' order on
the BIOS itself.
Yes,. the FTP server is at my full control, it is in the same cabinet (and
more than likely will even be in the same
class/network).
My problem is that I'm a novice user (sounds nicer than a newbie :)) ) and
my experience with Linux was
vanilla installs with no actuall modifications for the install process.

I believe the process itself is fairly simple, as it only requires setting
up a boot menu and then run the
boot images of the distribution selected.
When I start the linux install, I choose "linux askmethod" and then being
prompted for the install method FTP, HTTP, CD or NFS Image.
I have no need for an auto install beyond that part.
All I need is to reach this screen, and I'll populate the values manually.
I just need a simple menu at the onset of the boot that will ask me:  "Which
flavour of linux do you want to install" and thereafter
the selected distribution will initiate the install process of the selected
distribution.

That's all I need to have,. and I'm stuck here!
This is just a simple boot menu configuration.. (I think),. isn't it, and
upon selection,. it just pull the install boot image of the
distribution selected.

Any pointers on this?

- Alon
js at wsco.com