[WBEL-users] Like a rescue CD, . but not really - to load various distributions from Network

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 08:55:06 CST 2006

On 23/01/06, Alon <js at wsco.com> wrote:

> I believe the process itself is fairly simple, as it only requires setting
> up a boot menu and then run the
> boot images of the distribution selected.

Well, if your absolutely stuck on doing it this way then I would
imagine a custom boot menu using isolinux is the way to go, though
doing this is halfway to a PXE boot as the isolinux/pxelinux config
files are pretty similar if I remember right.

> When I start the linux install, I choose "linux askmethod" and then being
> prompted for the install method FTP, HTTP, CD or NFS Image.
> I have no need for an auto install beyond that part.
> All I need is to reach this screen, and I'll populate the values manually.
> I just need a simple menu at the onset of the boot that will ask me:  "Which
> flavour of linux do you want to install" and thereafter
> the selected distribution will initiate the install process of the selected
> distribution.
>
> That's all I need to have,. and I'm stuck here!
> This is just a simple boot menu configuration.. (I think),. isn't it, and
> upon selection,. it just pull the install boot image of the
> distribution selected.

It's not *that* simple, because your boot menu has to know how to
bootstrap what's next. I think a full blown TFTP PXELinux environment
would be the best solution though for a novice it might be quite an
undertaking, creating a customised isolinux boot image wouldn't be
much less work.