[WBEL-users] WBEL4 reliability?

Sean Dogar sean at catfeeder.net
Mon Jan 23 13:19:21 CST 2006

Vic wrote:

>Hi All.
>
>I've been using WBEL3 for some time now - and very good it is too :-)
>
>I've recently built a couple of WBEL4 boxen, but these don't seem to be
>quite as reliable - e.g. BIND fails every 6 weeks or so[1].
>
>Does anyone else see this sort of thing, or am I just unlucky?
>
>Vic.

Yeah, I've noticed a general wonkiness of RHAS 4 and derivative distros
( both CentOS and WBEL).

At home, I have a CentOS 4.2 machine on x86_64.  After a while of
running, I always seem to have a problem with X no longer accepting
connections...it's like $DISPLAY gets whacked but I can't make it right
which an environment variable change or an xhost command or anything.

At work, I have RHES 4 on a IBM HS20 blade and periodically it is
sloooooowwwww, even with 4GB of RAM.  I'm running Apache for internal
use and a few other small things, and that's it.  At first I thought it
was hardware failure but I've run full diags on the machine and so has
my other admin, and it comes up fine.  But lately it's needed a reboot
every now and again to stay sane.....not something I'm keen on as a
Linux admin.

I installed WBEL4 on a friend's machines and after I fixed the little
things (like the bad repos in yum, etc.), he still has a similar problem
to mine with X....something whacky happens and he'll no longer be able
to initiate new programs that use X, although the ones he has open work
fine.  Again, resetting $DISPLAY doesn't seem to fix the problem.

I haven't been able to figure out a pattern to the X failures.  Intially
I thought it might have been related to me firing up a vnc server every
now and again, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For my ~250+ machines at work, I'm sticking with WBEL3 for the meantime.

-Sean