[WBEL-users] Samba and WBEL4

khaqq khaqq at free.fr
Mon Jan 23 17:59:10 CST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:16:42 +0000
Francies Moore <liz at indract.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all

hello Francies,

> We have recently set up a WBEL 4.0 box running Samba for about 35 users
> on Win2K.  There are problems appearing with our network - the time on
> the various machines is drifting apart and hopefully my technical
> support man is going to deal with this using NTP.

This has been a problem with Intel x86 boxes starting with i8xx chipsets,
I have no idea why.

> Also there are issues with the speed of the network switches ...

1/ network cards => brand and model ?
2/ network switches => brand and model ?

> However, over the last couple of days repeated errors are appearing in
> dmesg and /var/log/messages;
>
> server kernel: lease broken - owner pid = 1234  /* various numbers here */
>
> I have changed smb.conf to remove kernel oplocks, and await results to
> see if this stops it.

This seems to be the correct answer to the problem.

> Has anyone else had this message appear, is it dangerous, and is it
> possibly connected with the timing problem?

This is a SMP+Samba issue. Disabling HT on your P4 server will make it
go away.
Disabing kernel oplocks in Samba is also a good workaround. I do not think
it is dangerous. This is not a RH/WB issue, as Debian had the same problem.

> Also has anyone any suggestions for a (free!) NTP client for Windows 2K?

There is already a NTP client within 2K. Here is a how-to :
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/pdf/win2000xp.pdf

khaqq