[WBEL-users] like a rescue CD, to load various distributions

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 04:00:52 CST 2006

On 26/01/06, Alon <js at wsco.com> wrote:
> I'm finally all set with Linux distributions.
> However, In my menu, I have a Windows 98 boot option and I don't how to make
> this happen.
> Meaning:
>
> LABEL White Box 4
> KERNEL wbel4/vmlinuz.wb4
> APPEND vga=normal initrd=wbel4/initrd.wb4 root=/dev/ram0 rw
>
> LABEL CentOS 3
> KERNEL centos3/vmlinuz.ce3
> APPEND vga=normal initrd=centos3/initrd.ce3 root=/dev/ram0 rw
>
> LABEL Windows 98 FAT32 DOS prompt.
> KERNEL <what do I put here?>
> APPEND vga=normal initrd=<What do I put here>    root=/dev/ram0 rw
>
> Where or how do I obtain a windows 98 disk image and what kernel do I load?
> A while back I created a bootable CD that boots up like a Win98 prompt, but
> how do I make an img file
> of it,. andwhat kernel do I put?

Looks like booting Windows 98 as a diskless client should be possible...

http://silent.gumph.org/content/4/7/071-diskless-windows-pxe.html

But as for how to get it to boot and run the setup installer remotely,
no idea. Here's some additional reading which may throw some light on
the subject or help out.

http://oss.netfarm.it/guides/pxe.php and http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

Will.