[WBEL-users] Where to remove the RedHat stuff

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jan 26 10:19:27 CST 2006

Alex Chen spake the following on 1/25/2006 7:19 PM:
> I need to resell machines that bundle commercial software and runs on
> Red Hat Linux.
> But their license fee is too high to be affordable.  It seems that I can
> redistribute their open source stuff as long as all Red Hat trademark
> stuff has been removed.
> I am trying to do that but do not know which packages to start with
> because Red Hat's web site is very vague about how this can be done
> (intentionally I believe).
>
> I come across your site and find it very interesting.  I appreciate if
> someone can answer the following questions for me:
>
> 1. Can I use your package to install a machine for resell?  Is there any
> fee involved?
> 2. Is it based on Red Hat 9 or Red Hat enterprise system?  If it is RHES
> based, what version?
> 3. All the RH RPM packages contain the string 'Vendor: Red Hat Inc."
> Does your package take care of that? If not, does that violate Red Hat's
> EULA?
> 4. Does it have any extra stuff added?
> 5. If I decide to do it myself, what packages should I modify?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex
There are several Linux distributions based on RedHat Enterprise Linux, both
version 3 and 4. I wouldn't reccomend doing it yourself, because you will have
to support it for years with updates.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |