[WBEL-users] Realtek 8139too problems

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 02:51:40 CST 2006

> I am running kernel version 2.4.21-4.EL

That's quite old; my WBEL3 system are running 2.4.12-37. You might want to
consider upgrading...

> The interface comes up fine with ifup eth0.

This implies there's nothing wrong with the driver, hardward, or
connectivity.

> Has anyone had any similar problems with this card

No - on the contrary, the 8139 is the beast I fall back on when I'm unsure
about the supporting OS. I've had these things running on NetWare386...

> where everything looks fine but just wont communicate??

Ah - so when you said "The interface comes up fine", do you mean that? Or
does it just say "OK", and doesn't come up?

> 8139too                18056   0

The module is being loaded OK.

> mii                     3976   0  [8139too]
> crc32                   3712   0  [8139too]

I'm not sure about this - my box doesn't load crc32 as a dependency; I
don't know what that means.

> So as you can see the module 8139too loads fine. Should I look at
> upgrading the kernel ? Is this a kernel issue??

Upgrading the kernel will give you a fresh installation of code that does
work *very* reliably on the 8139 chipset, and will give you a whole load
of fixes besides. I'd upgrade anyway...

HTH

Vic.