[WBEL-users] Building WBEL-compatible RPMs on Debian

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Mon Jan 30 21:29:00 CST 2006

Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> I've been doing some looking around, and I think I've decided to try
> Debian on my laptop once I get it back from being serviced.  However,
> I currently host xine RPMs built using WBEL that work with
> RHEL/WBEL/CentOS/etc.  To make these, I download the "new" xine source
> tarball, then execute the command
>
> rpmbuild -ta [name_of_tarball]
>
> I then FTP the resulting RPMs up to my website and update the download
> links.  Would rpmbuild run under a Debian distro?  Assuming I was
> using an x86_64 version of Debian, would the resultant RPM still work
> the same on the EL clones as it does today?

Simple answer, no.. debian is DEB based and not rpm based so there would
be no rpm packages for debian

a Long answer, yes you can do it.  BUT it requires you having an install
of WBEL in a chroot. and using a package like pydar2 or mach to build
the rpms within the chrooted install of wbel on you debian system.

Currently I am building wbel3 rpms in this manner (though my host OS on
that box is also wbel3).

for one package this may be a little overkill however..