[WBEL-users] No chkconfig or ifconfig commands?

Sat Jul 1 05:26:53 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 17:59 -0500, Jeffery Mathis wrote:
> I am trying to configure a DNS server using WBEL, but when I run the
> chkconfig or ifconfig commands, I get "command not found".  I'm new to
> WBEL, but I do have prior experience with Red Hat and CentOS.  What is
> going on here?  Does WBEL use different commands or something?

Maybe you did not login with root in a way that gives you full
environment variables.

Normally, administration is done as the root user and not another user,
and you can get to be root in a couple ways.

The most common is to open a terminal and use the su (switch users)
command.  When using "su", you need to use a "-" with the command to get
all the user's environment variables (including the PATH):

so to become "root" with all variables set ....

su -

OR

su - root

If you use su by itself without the the "-" {ie, "su" or "su root"} you
will have root privileges but will stay in your current directory and
not have all environment variables (like root's PATH).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS-4 Lead Developer