[WBEL-users] New to Whitebox. Kernel Upgrade?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 13 10:08:36 CDT 2006

At Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:00:55 +0200 Hermann Thomas <h.thomas at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am new to whitebox because there is some software which will run
> better with rat hat rather than with suse which I am use to. The problem
> is the kernel. Is there any possibility to get the kernel 2.6.9-22 .
> With whitebox 4 came the 2.6.9-5. How can I upgrade to Kernel 2.6.9-22?

I've found that almost any distro Kernel RPM will install (I've
installed a FC1 kernel RPM under WBL 3.0).  It should be possible to
grab a Fedora Core 4 or 5 kernel and install it.  Or you can get the
CentOS 4.x kernel RPMs -- although 2.6.9-34<mumble> is the current
version.  Is there some *specific* reason you specifically need 2.6.9-22?
 If you just need a newer one than 2.6.9-5, one that is at least as new
as 2.6.9-22, then one of the 2.6.9-34<mumble> kernels available at
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/ should work.

> Thanks if you can help out,
> Hermann

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk