[WBEL-users] New to Whitebox. Kernel Upgrade?

Shapiro, Mark mshapiro at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Thu Jul 13 12:40:55 CDT 2006

Running up2date will allow you to download and automatically install the
latest available stable kernel.  It will present you with the choices
listed below.  Pick the one that best suits your machine.

To actually run on the downloaded kernel, you should go to /boot/grub
then check that grub.conf is set to load the 0 choice.  If it is not,
edit the file to make that change.  Then reboot the machine and it
should come up running the new kernel.

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
California State University, Fullerton
Phone: 714 278-3884
FAX: 714 278-5810
email: mshapiro at fullerton.edu
web: http://chaos.fullerton.edu/Shapiro.html
travel and family pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mhshapiro

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-bounces at beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-bounces at beau.org] On Behalf Of Terry Henderson
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:58 AM
To: whitebox-users
Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] New to Whitebox. Kernel Upgrade?

Not real sure, but:
Simplest way should be by using yum or up2date
"pick Up2Date Network from the menu" (from:
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/faq.html )

To see what yum has to offer:
# yum info kernel*
should show you list of kernels.  Take your pick.
Otherwise, update / adjust your repos

Or install it manually, download one and just "rpm -i" it.
Some choices you might be interested in and end up seeing:
kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.i586.rpm
kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.i686.rpm
kernel-hugemem-2.6.9-22.EL.i686.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.EL.i586.rpm
kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.EL.i686.rpm

On 7/13/06, Hermann Thomas <h.thomas at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am new to whitebox because there is some software which will run
> better with rat hat rather than with suse which I am use to. The
problem
> is the kernel. Is there any possibility to get the kernel 2.6.9-22 .
> With whitebox 4 came the 2.6.9-5. How can I upgrade to Kernel
2.6.9-22?

> Thanks if you can help out,
> Hermann

Registered Linux User 188099