[WBEL-users] Layer 3 Routing

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Sat Jun 3 04:12:47 CDT 2006

> However, the NOC requires me to manage my own gateway and as a requirement
> I need to have a Layer 3 Routing box.

Errr - perhaps I've misunderstood. Can't you just do that with "route"?

> So,. I'm looking to learn a bit more about how to create my 'own Layer 3
> Routing Gateway'.

Ah - OK.

1) Install WBEL
2) Install Webmin
3) Go to Webmin->Networking->Network Configuration->Routing and Gateways
4) Add routes to your heart's content :-)

> The hardware that will be used as a dedicated box is:  Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
> with 2MB Cache, 1GB of RAM and 80GB SATA HD.
> I'll add 2 Gbit network PCI cards to the onboard 10/100 NIC.
> I was told this will probably be even an Overkill with regards of Layer 3
> Routing Gateway needs.

Certainly sounds it. If you need help filling CPU time, give me a shout :-)

> My regular total MRTG traffic stands at about 30MB with peeks of 70MB at
> times.

70MB is a trivial amount - I suspect you mean GB. And if that's per month,
that's still a trivial amount...

> I do want to have the active firewall present with packet stateful
> inspection and whatever I throw in to better protect my network.

iptables is your friend...

> Can you suggest of a ready made solution or give me pointers of how to
> approach this?

Linux. Seriously - all the distributions of which I'm aware do what you're
talking about. All you need to do is configure them...

Vic.