[WBEL-users] WBEL 4.0 questions

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jun 12 09:54:19 CDT 2006

K.L. spake the following on 6/11/2006 6:38 PM:
> Hi people,
> can someone perhaps answer some possibly silly questions for me please?
> 1. Having previously had issues with a Fedora 4 install myself, do the
> majority of you consider the 2.6 kernel really enterprise ready? Or am I
> perhaps better off at this point sticking with a 2.4 (WBEL/RHEL 3.x)
> version at the moment? (I want to put the server in and not have to
> touch it.)
> 2. I don't know if it matters or not, but the downloads list some very
> specific CPU architectures. What I need to know is which version, if
> any, can be installed on a single or dual XEON box? Is that considred
> standard x86 architecture or is it ........... something else?
The recent Xenon's are x86_64. But unless you are running a lot of memory or
large storage space, you probably won't notice the difference if you install
the i386 version.
As for the 2.6 kernel being enterprise ready, I think it is, and it does seem
to add some speed increases to most enterprise apps. If you aren't using any
exotic hardware, you could use either Whitebox 3 or 4. But if you have raid
cards or newer chipsets, you might have better luck with the drivers being in
the 2.6 kernel.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!