[WBEL-users] WBEL 4.0 questions

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jun 12 09:54:19 CDT 2006

K.L. spake the following on 6/11/2006 6:38 PM:
> Hi people,
>
> can someone perhaps answer some possibly silly questions for me please?
>
> 1. Having previously had issues with a Fedora 4 install myself, do the
> majority of you consider the 2.6 kernel really enterprise ready? Or am I
> perhaps better off at this point sticking with a 2.4 (WBEL/RHEL 3.x)
> version at the moment? (I want to put the server in and not have to
> touch it.)
>
> 2. I don't know if it matters or not, but the downloads list some very
> specific CPU architectures. What I need to know is which version, if
> any, can be installed on a single or dual XEON box? Is that considred
> standard x86 architecture or is it ........... something else?

The recent Xenon's are x86_64. But unless you are running a lot of memory or
large storage space, you probably won't notice the difference if you install
the i386 version.
As for the 2.6 kernel being enterprise ready, I think it is, and it does seem
to add some speed increases to most enterprise apps. If you aren't using any
exotic hardware, you could use either Whitebox 3 or 4. But if you have raid
cards or newer chipsets, you might have better luck with the drivers being in
the 2.6 kernel.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and