Steve Kirby Help [WBEL-users] Re: Compilling php in White Box 3.0 Respin 2

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Mon Mar 20 18:01:01 CST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:36, Salvador S. Scardua wrote:
> Thank for your Help Steve, i read about Yum and I tested in my White
> Box the following command:
>
>  # yum update php
>
> but Yum it started downloading a long list of packages , and i´m kill
> YUM, i cannot allow update ALL packets, only php installation is the
> problem, some softs need old packets and it is my Server Productive.

Yum/RPM would only download other packages if it needed them to satisfy
dependencies.

> I installing NEW Apache Server, because i know the directory standart
> "/usr/local/apache2", and Native Apache in White Box not STANDART and
> ./configure not  find default Apache Directory.

Ah, here is your problem.  Once you start replacing system packages with
self compiled versions you basically have to go whole hog since the rpm
database doesn't know about them so you end up reconpiling everything
that depends on them.  Replace apache and you have to replace php,
replace php and there goes any package that depends on that, etc.
Basically anything web related will end up being built locally.  And
manually updated every time a security errata comes down the pipe.

Two options:

1.  Get back on a packaged apache/php/etc.  If you need local
customizations you can still have package management.  Simply get the
src.rpm and make your changes there.  Add patches, tweak the .spec,
etc.  Then add a local suffix to the version.  This is how White Box
itself does things, with .WB{n} on the end.  For local, Beauregard
Parish Library only, modifications I keep .BPL{n} packages in a seperate
yum repo.  Doing things this way means you can keep current, but you
have to respin the packages you are modifying every time an errata comes
down the pipeline.  In practice this isn't very difficult as most
changes from upstream are very minor and your patch will apply cleanly.

The only downside is having to learn how to make an rpm.  I'll admit it
isn't documented nearly as well as it probably should be and isn't quite
as simple as cracking a tarball and having a look at the INSTALL file.
RH has a PDF version of _Maximum RPM_ available but it documents a very
old version.

2.  Build everything with configure/make install and live life the BSD
way.  While some swear by it, most realize why package management
systems are a Good Thing(tm) pretty quickly.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!