[WBEL-users] x64 yum update failing

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Mar 21 22:55:46 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 22:13, Eric B. wrote:

> So now the question becomes how can I safely remove the i686 pkg without
> touching the x86_64 pkg?

When a package exists in two archs, like glibc, rpm/yum needs to update
both at once.  Normally this isn't a problem since I will hatch both at
once but apparently your machine only found the newer x86_64 package.
Have been pushing a lot of packages in the last week or two so a mirror
has probably glitched.  Instead of waiting while it sorts itself out I'd
suggest manually grabbing the packages and running rpm -Fvh [packages]
on em.

I wouldn't recommend removing the i686 version, a lot of things will
break.  Even a 'pure' 64 bit install needs a couple of i[36]86 packages
and glibc seems to be one of them.  Plus any 32bit packages you have
installed would certainly stop working, like OpenOffice.org, Quake3,
etc.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!