[WBEL-users] Upgrade Path

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Nov 28 16:36:27 CST 2006

Kyle spake the following on 11/28/2006 12:52 PM:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in a situation where I need to upgrade a live and hot WBEL 3.0 box
> to a 2.6.9 kernel. And I have to do it over ssh. I can't get into the
> box itself, so if anything happens to go wrong with a kernel compile,
> I'm pretty much screwed.
>
> Yum doesn't appear to have anything available in a 2.6 kernel. What
> would be your suggestions please?
>
> Do I attempt a 2.6 kernel compile, or do I just have the data centre
> upgrade it to WBEL 4.0 or even CentOS 4.x. Is there even a simple
> upgrade path for RHEL based distros in the same way there is for MS OS's?
You will have to compile a kernel yourself, but with all the other things you
will have to change with a 2.6 kernel, you would be better off with an upgrade
to 4.0. If your data center can do it, great, but if not, and you have access
to another host that you can store a copy of a distro on, you can upgrade over
vnc. Here is a link to do just that from CentOS 3 to CentOS 4...

http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c

You might want to consider CentOS over Whitebox as Whitebox seems to be
getting a bit stagnant. Updates have been slow, and I haven't heard anything
from John on the list for a while.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and