[WBEL-users] Upgrade Path

Pete Stevens pete at ex-parrot.com
Wed Nov 29 04:40:16 CST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Kyle wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am in a situation where I need to upgrade a live and hot WBEL 3.0 box
> to a 2.6.9 kernel. And I have to do it over ssh. I can't get into the
> box itself, so if anything happens to go wrong with a kernel compile,
> I'm pretty much screwed.

If you have a serial console for your server you should be able to recover
from there no matter how badly wrong it goes.

If you haven't, run don't walk and get ncad installed and running

http://www.xenoclast.org/nca/

ncad will get ssh up and running before the filesystem becomes read-write -
providing your kernel starts, finds the root filesystem and has a network
driver you should be able to recover, however painfully.

(Note I'm personal friends with all three of the relevant authors of this
package).

Pete

--
Pete Stevens
pete at ex-parrot.com
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/

                      What's the differenc between a barrow boy and a dachsund?
                         The barrow boy balls his wares out, along the street..