[WBEL-users] Upgrade Path

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Nov 29 13:01:41 CST 2006

Purcocks, Graham spake the following on 11/29/2006 6:23 AM:
> Wholeheartedly agree.
>
> It's *MY* choice which distro I use. If I get fed up with Whitebox
> updates I'll switch but in my own time.

My original post only said "you might want to consider switching". No threats
of doom, no saying it is much better. Just a simple opinion, and the document
to remote upgrade is easily convertible to upgrading Whitebox. It just says
CentOS because it was written with CentOS in mind. You could just as well
substitute CentOS with "your favorite RHEL clone".

Some of my concern is selfish, because any vulnerable systems left out in the
"wild" of the internet have the potential to be the next zombie that is now
attacking my servers. I do not think CentOS is better or worse than Whitebox.
They are more like twins -- more alike than different. I still hang around on
the Whitebox list just to help when I can.

Sometimes true pleas for help can go unanswered for a few days... that might
not seem like the end of the world unless it is your server hanging there.
Then it can seem like an eternity. I'm not saying this list is not helpful, it
is just that the more people reading a list, the more likely someone will have
an answer. And if you look back in the archives, many CentOS people freqently
give good help, not just a warning to "jump before the ship sinks" as the tone
of this thread seems to imply.

I'm surprised that the CentOS people stay to take the abuse. I might not if in
their place.....

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and