[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Wed Oct 11 08:20:37 CDT 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> Karanbir Singh spake the following on 10/10/2006 1:41 AM:
>
>> Brian Thies wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings fellow users:
>>> Over several months, the up2date gui interface almost never worked, I
>>> started using yum to update my machines. However, I would much rather
>>> use the gui interface.
>>> Using the command line for up2date, I made a discovery about why the
>>> gui doesn't work.
>>> The mirrors for WB3 are badly out of date. only about 40% of the
>>> mirrors that whitebox-mirrors points to are current. For example:
>>> ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is being deprecated. jach.hawaii.edu doesnt
>>> have a 3.0 directory. and phantomhosting.com has no whitebox
>>> directories at all!
>>> Any idea of who to talk to to get the mirror list updated?
>>>

>> try http://www.centos.org/
>>
>> is WBEL even being maintained anymore ?
>>
>> - KB
>>

> I haven't seen much traffic on the list since hurricane Katrina. Maybe John
> has his hands full right now.
> I second the idea of going to CentOS. I did last year, and haven't looked
> back. I have been watching the list anyway, just to give something back to
> Whitebox for the year I did use it.
>
> CentOS has more maintainers, and much more activity on its lists. I don't want
> to get into bashing John Morris, but he never intended for Whitebox to be
> anything more than a distro for his parish library to use without the costs of
> paying for RedHat.  To quote the homepage of Whitebox;
>
> "Why was White Box Linux created?
>
> White Box Linux's initial creation has been sponsored by the Beauregard Parish
> Public Library in DeRidder, LA USA out of self interest. We have several
> servers and over fifty workstations running Red Hat Linux and were left high
> and dry by their recent shift in business plan. Our choices were a difficult
> migration to another distribution or paying RedHat an annual fee greater than
> the amortized value of our hardware. So we chose a third path, made possible
> by the power of Open Source.... White Box Linux. "

Im sure a few of us still have some whitebox production machines (I know
I do), but as far as making a transistion does anyone see problems with
migrating say whitebox 3.0/4.0 to centOS 3.X/4.X(latest or most recent
stable)?

I dont like the idea of leaving production mail or web servers out there
all alone on the internet with no updates or not having anyone ( If I
left my position ) being able to maintain them or help lists unavailable.

I have recently joined the CentOS site and I'll probably start to
transition all my WhiteBox machines and current builds to CentOS.

Thanks,

--
Jeff O'Brien
Network Engineer  / Manufacturing