[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Thu Oct 12 11:00:35 CDT 2006

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 09:41 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> Brian Thies wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings fellow users:
>>> Over several months, the up2date gui interface almost never worked, I
>>> started using yum to update my machines. However, I would much rather
>>> use the gui interface.
>>> Using the command line for up2date, I made a discovery about why the gui
>>> doesn't work.
>>> The mirrors for WB3 are badly out of date. only about 40% of the mirrors
>>> that whitebox-mirrors points to are current. For example:
>>> ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is being deprecated. jach.hawaii.edu doesnt have
>>> a 3.0 directory. and phantomhosting.com has no whitebox directories at all!
>>> Any idea of who to talk to to get the mirror list updated?
>>>

>> try http://www.centos.org/
>>
>> is WBEL even being maintained anymore ?
>>

> Appears pretty dormant at best...
>
> Last traffic on the whitebox-devel list: 25 Apr 2006
> Last traffic on whitebox-announce list:	1 May 2006
> Last John Morris message on whitebox-users list: 30 May 2006
> Last *@beau.org message on whitebox-users list: 16 Jul 2006
>
> Thanks to John and the library for getting me, and many others, started
> on an EL distro with WBEL3; but see link above and others in this thread
> for instructions on moving to CentOS.  The move from WBEL3 -> CentOS3
> move was pretty painless for me long before good instructions were
> available, and CentOS 4 has been great - timely updates, active
> development team (thanks Karanbir), and very good community support.
>
> Phil

I as well award my thanks to John and the rest of the list for
everything whitebox has done for me and my company over the past year or
two.  Thank you all so much, hopefully I'll be seeing you on the CentOS
lists when the time comes.

I did my first two WBEL4 to CentOS4.4 migrations this morning both went
without a hitch.  Well except one, after upgrading the two systems I
noticed both have the whitebox grub splash screen and no CentOS splash
screen was found on the system.  If one of you could kindly point to me
a new splash.xml.gz with the CentOS that would be well appreciated for
such a small thing (just a little anal retentive).  Or does anyone have
a little HOWTO on making your own custom?  Not a big deal if no one does.

For the upgrade I had two systems that were both "Minimal" installs with
added daemons via yum (httpd, named, MySQL, Dovecot).  Everything seems
to work so far.

Thanks again!

--
Jeff O'Brien