[WBEL-users] downloaded software

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 18 10:10:59 CDT 2006

Daniel J. Summers spake the following on 10/17/2006 5:04 PM:
> Potter, Mark wrote:
>> how would I go about installing software that I downloaded from the web?
>>

> That pretty much depends on how it was packaged.  All of these commands
> would be typed in a terminal window.
>
> - If it's an RPM, you will have to enter the command "rpm -i [filename]"
> (probably as root).
> - If it's a binary file, make sure it's executable ("chmod +x
> [filename]), then enter the name "./[filename]" to execute it.
> - If it's a GZ or TGZ file, it's probably also tarred, so you'll need to
> un-zip and un-tar the file.  To do that, type "tar xvfc [filename]",
> which will create a directory, usually named the same thing as the
> original file.  From there, "cd" into the directory, and look for an
> executable file named "install" or "setup" or some variation on that.
>
> Those are general guidelines.  Of course, you could use Google and
> search for "[filename|productname] installation instructions" -
> sometimes you can find specific instructions for a piece of software
> even if the place you got it didn't have it.  Hope that helps...
>

> Daniel
I am starting to think this user is a harvester. Posts once, and never comes
into the discussion.  More spam-filter training coming!
 Maybe the list-admin will look into it, and his previous posts.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and