[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 25 18:26:17 CDT 2006

david spake the following on 10/25/2006 2:55 PM:
> Dear Friends
>
> I originally set up my server to run command-line only.  None of the
> graphical interface packages were installed.
>
> I now want to add the capability of running a graphical interface
> sometimes.  That is, the system boots in command line mode (runlevel 3 I
> think), and the ALT-function keys bring up command line windows.
> However, if I issue the "startx" command (I think), I want to switch to
> graphical.  I want to make a similar function available via ssh logins
> using an X-windows package on a windows box.
>
> Is this possible?  Can it be done without re-installing WBEL4?
>
> David
Yes. You just need to do ;
yum groupinstall "X Window System"
and a desktop environment like KDE Gnome, or XFCE
yum grouplist shows you the choices.
Just remember the quotes around each group with spaces in its name.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and