[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 26 07:06:50 CDT 2006

At Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:55:12 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> Dear Friends
>
> I originally set up my server to run command-line only.  None of the
> graphical interface packages were installed.
>
> I now want to add the capability of running a graphical interface
> sometimes.  That is, the system boots in command line mode (runlevel
> 3 I think), and the ALT-function keys bring up command line
> windows.  However, if I issue the "startx" command (I think), I want
> to switch to graphical.  I want to make a similar function available
> via ssh logins using an X-windows package on a windows box.
>
> Is this possible?  Can it be done without re-installing WBEL4?

Yes.  You just need to install and  configure the X Server:

1) Make sure xorg-x11 and xdm are installed:

sudo yum install xorg-x11 xorg-x11-xdm

2) Then configure the X server -- type this at the console:

/usr/bin/X11/Xorg -configure

> David

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk