[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

david david at daku.org
Thu Oct 26 18:28:37 CDT 2006

At 04:11 PM 10/26/2006, Robert Heller wrote:
>At Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:22:00 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> > >Yes.  You just need to install and  configure the X Server:
> > >
> > >1) Make sure xorg-x11 and xdm are installed:
> > >
> > >sudo yum install xorg-x11 xorg-x11-xdm
> > >
> > >2) Then configure the X server -- type this at the console:
> > >
> > >/usr/bin/X11/Xorg -configure
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > I installed as suggested, plugged in the mouse, rebooted to let
> Kudzuu find it.
> >
> > When I ran the Xorg -configure, it claimed it could not detect the
> > mouse, and suggested that I edit
> >    /root/xorg.conf.new
> > I saw that the device pointer therein was
> >    /dev/mouse
> > but my dev listing shows
> >   /dev/mouse0
> >
> > So, I did the edit, saved it, reran the configure, and it complained
> > again.  When I reexamined the edited file, my changes were erased !!
> >

>Is it a serial, PS/2, or USB mouse?
>
>You might have to fuss with udev to get the /dev/mouse symlink to stay
>around.
>
>I have a serial mouse on COM2, so I have this line in
>/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules:
>
>KERNEL="ttyS1", SYMLINK="modem"
>
>You might need to add something else for your mouse.
>
>Also:  *Always* Cc to the list! -- select 'Reply To All' when you reply.
>I'm not the only one with answers -- there are others who might have
>answers too.

It is a PS2 mouse that was not visible during original WBEL
install.  I can only find the file /etc/udev/rulses.d/50-udev.rules,
but have no idea what to do with it.  The only line that has MOU on it says:

KERNEL="mouse*", NAME="input/%k"

Is a reinstall of WBEL4 the cleanest "no brainer" way to do this?

David