[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 27 06:40:00 CDT 2006

At Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:21:53 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> > > It is a PS2 mouse that was not visible during original WBEL
> > > install.  I can only find the file /etc/udev/rulses.d/50-udev.rules,
> > > but have no idea what to do with it.  The only line that has MOU
> > on it says:
> > >
> > > KERNEL="mouse*", NAME="input/%k"
> > >
> > > Is a reinstall of WBEL4 the cleanest "no brainer" way to do this?
> >
> >No.  The "reinstall when in doubt" is a *windows* thing.  Also, you
> >don't touch /etc/udev/rulses.d/50-udev.rules, but you might need to
> >create/add a line to /etc/udev/rulses.d/10-local.rules.  You probably
> >don't need to though, since I think a PS/2 should be handled properly.
>

> OK..... I did system-config-mouse, which put me into text mode.
> I chose a two-button PS/2 mouse (which is where I plugged it in)
> Xorg -configure still didn't work. -- said it could not detect the
> mouse, although the mouse does move the square cursor in command mode.

Hmm...  Strange. You are running Xorg as root on the console?  Don't run
it over a SSH connection or as a normal user.

Here is the man section of the man page:

       -configure
               When this option is specified, the Xorg server loads all video
               driver modules, probes for available hardware, and writes  out
               an  initial  xorg.conf(5x)  file  based  on what was detected.
               This option currently has some problems on some platforms, but
               in  most cases it is a good way to bootstrap the configuration
               process.  This option is only available when the server is run
               as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).

It might be that your platform is one of the platforms Xorg -configure
has problems, although that *seems* unlikely.

Can you post the whole log file here (/var/log/Xorg.0.log), as well as
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf* file that it creates? There might be a clue
there.  You might need to completely flush whatever /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
might already be there before running Xorg -configure.