[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Oct 27 14:42:17 CDT 2006

At Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:18:55 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Section "Device"
> > >          ### Available Driver options are:-
> > >          ### [arg]: arg optional
> > >          #Option     "SWcursor"                 # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "HWcursor"                 # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "NoAccel"                  # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "ShadowFB"                 # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "UseFBDev"                 # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "Rotate"                   # [<str>]
> > >          #Option     "VideoKey"                 # <i>
> > >          #Option     "FlatPanel"                # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "FPDither"                 # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "CrtcNumber"               # <i>
> > >          #Option     "FPScale"                  # [<bool>]
> > >          #Option     "FPTweak"                  # <i>
> > >        Identifier  "Card0"
> > >        Driver      "nv"
> > >        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> > >        BoardName   "NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro]"
> > >        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Screen"
> > >        Identifier "Screen0"
> > >        Device     "Card0"
> > >        Monitor    "Monitor0"
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     1
> > >        EndSubSection
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     4
> > >        EndSubSection
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     8
> > >        EndSubSection
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     15
> > >        EndSubSection
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     16
> > >        EndSubSection
> > >        SubSection "Display"
> > >             Viewport   0 0
> > >             Depth     24
> > >        EndSubSection
> > > EndSection
> >
> >And then save the file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> >Then there are two things you can then do:
> >
> >1) just type 'startx' after logging in at the console.  Things *might*
> >just work.
> >
> >2) If not, make sure system-config-display is installed:
> >
> >yum install system-config-display
> >
> >and then run system-config-display from the console, as root.
> >system-config-display might behave a little better (and be more
> >intelligent) than raw Xorg -configure -- instead of just failing, it
> >will ask you about stuff it can't figure out (like the mouse).
> >
> >system-config-display might behave better than raw Xorg -configure.
> >
> >If system-config-display asks you what kind of video card you have, tell
> >it you have a nVidia type card (driver = nv) -- this is what
> >'Xorg -configure' detected.
>

> Tried what you suggested.  When I ran "startx", I got
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,

You probably need to install some more X11 packages, at least these
packages:

fonts-xorg xorg-x11-font-utils fonts-xorg-base fonts-xorg-truetype
and optionally fonts-xorg-100dpi:

yum install fonts-xorg xorg-x11-font-utils fonts-xorg-base fonts-xorg-truetype
yum install fonts-xorg-100dpi

> It went back to command line.
>
> The system-config-display never asked me for anything like display
> type; and what it did present in graphical mode was barely legible.
> == too blurry.

Ah, so the GUI did come up (however badly)?

Were you able to move the cursor around with the mouse?

This suggests that things are actually close.  You seem to need the
fonts installed (not suprising) and need to select the proper display
resolution, which is a matter of a bit of easy hacking of the xorg.conf
file.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration