[WBEL-users] how to install downloads

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Sep 27 11:20:09 CDT 2006

Dear Mark, see response below

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:42 +0100, Potter, Mark wrote:
> mike
> im new to linux and managed to be able to configure WBEL so I can access the
> net. I simply put a Goole search for realplayer10 for linux and it took me
> to a real.com. from there I followed the download instructions and it
> downloaded nicely. I got this instructions
>
> - Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the
> .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command
> from a terminal window.
>
> - Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts
> provided to finish installing the player.
>
> - When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant will
> take you through configuring your player.
>
> - Enjoy your Realplayer10 for Linux!
>
> but im unsure what it means. im assuming thar WBEL is a red hat distro.
> I got the download page here :http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&am. hope
> this helps.

You'll need to open up a command line. How you do this depends on the
desktop environment. If it's GNOME, click Applications -> Accessories ->
Terminal. In KDE, right click on the destkop and click Konsole.

Next, you'll need to find where you downloaded the .bin file, usually in
the Desktop subdirectory.

At the command line, type

ls Desktop

You should see RealPlayer10GOLD.bin there. Type

cd Desktop

and run the commands as you've listed from the instructions.

Good luck,
Mike