[WBEL-users] Upgrading from Whitebox to RHEL

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Sat Apr 28 22:21:20 CDT 2007

At 4/28/2007 01:31 PM, Scott Silva wrote:

>You are saying that this system has been upgraded from 5.2 all the way to 7.2?
>Is the hardware even capable of moving to a new distro?

Yes.  It's like the old story of the woodcutter who's been using the
same axe for 30 years.  Replaced the head twice and the handle 3
times, but that axe just keeps on going... ;-)

I've upgraded the motherboard twice...once due to a fan failure that
resulted in heat death...the backup drive was fine though, and after
replacing the motherboard, system drive and power supply (with one
that has overtemp shutdown...) it was back up with no problems.  It
was a Pentium 233 originally, and is currently an AMD 3000+.

To change hard drives I use System Commander's partition copy utility
(there's a DOS partition on the drive too, using up 100 megs or
so).  I use the same utility to back up the drive to a spare
periodically.  Both are mounted in removable drive trays (one of them
usually holds the drive with the swap and /home partitions...I just
take that out when I'm backing up the system drive that has /root and
the rest on it).  This gives me a "hot spare" as well as a quick
backup method and random access to files if I ever need to restore
something.  I use the system as a LAN server, so there's nothing much
in /home anyway.  Just stuff I've been playing with to learn more about linux.

-- Mike B.