[WBEL-users] Up2date issues

liz at indract.freeserve.co.uk liz at indract.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 17:39:41 CST 2007

Hello everyone

First, thanks to those who replied to me.

Second, things had been going well WBEL-wise for me, having retired the ancient NT server (hurrah!) and switched to a WBEL domain controller, but I am being pressured by my technical support to move to Centos.  Which I don't really want to do, at least yet, as I have always believed if it ain't broke don't fix it.  My servers are behind a NAT firewall and are not internet-facing.  Also we have done some tweaks like updating Samba to 3.0.21c to solve a problem with Office 2003.  As I saw updates appearing on the Esat repository I decided to test them.

The dependencies that occurred were with audit-libs, open-ssl and devhelp.  I will post the error messages when I have them to hand.  I did solve the audit-libs problem by getting rpms from rpbone, but failed on the other two.

I did successfully migrate my test system to CentOS and it appeared to work but there is a major problem with this system as the system clock is racing (it got to 2nd March overnight!) the GUI has become unusable as the menu doesn't stay open long enough to click on it! Sadly I am short of time but will try Knoppix to see if that races away too.  There is nothing in dmesg or /var/log and I turned off ACPI which helped a bit but on reboot it started racing again.  If Knoppix is OK I will revert it back to WBEL and see if it makes any difference.  If not, I don't know what to do. :-(

Thanks.

Francies