[WBEL-users] new DST on WBL 3.0...

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Mon Mar 12 00:44:23 CDT 2007

At 3/11/2007 06:41 PM, Jeff Lasman wrote:
>On Sunday 11 March 2007 01:40 pm, Mike B. wrote:
>
> > Any idea why Linux doesn't use a symlink for /etc/localtime?  That
> > would have let me skip the cp step and just build stuff in
> > /usr/share/zoneinfo and be done with it.
>
>Would "simply because it doesn't" answer your question?

Pretty much.  If unix wasn't already using a symlink it would answer
it completely, but with a fairly well-known example of a better way
to do it, it makes me wonder why the Linux developers didn't do it
the same way.  They are smart folks, so I figured maybe there was a
good reason, but there doesn't have to be. ;-)

>  We've done it
>on our test boxes and as soon as I have time to check them Monday... if
>they worked, we'll install links on other servers as well.

Thanks for the info!

-- Mike B.
--
My computer beats me at chess.  But it's no match for me at kickboxing.