[WBEL-users] has anyone used kudzu to auto detect/config a new nic card?

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Sat Mar 31 16:42:56 CDT 2007

> We will be updating our systems with GB NIC cards (from current 100MB
> NIC). And I wonder if there's a way to utilize kudzu to auto detect and
> auto config the newer GB NIC when installed and system's rebooted.

Yep.

Plug the cards in, turn the box on. Kudzu (assuming it'a enabled - test
with chkconfig before shutting down) will find the card & ask you a few
questions.

> I've
> read (from http://linuxgazette.net/issue88/tag/2.html) that I can copy
> /etc/init.d/skeleton to /etc/init.d/kudzu then modify it to do kudzu
> stuff. Says to do: update-rc.d to populate the /etc/rc?.d/ run level
> directories.

Nah - don't bother with any of that.

> Unfortunately I don't see /etc/init.d/skeleton in my version
> of RH 9.0

Well - if you've got RH9, you do really want to throw that away. It's been
obsolete for some years now.

Vic.