[WBEL-users] min spec

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 8 16:59:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 16:18 -0700, Rogue Spider wrote:
> I have looked over every readme faq and list and am yet to find one
> page listing the minimum hardware required to run whitehat on.
> I have a really old computer i wanted to use it on.
> so does anyone know the answer plz give me a shout;?

WBEL4 should have about the same HW requirements as CentOS4 or Fedora
Core 3.  WBEL3 should have a bit lower requirements. This link may give
some clues:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=5210&forum=27

See also http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/ but note that the minimums
listed there are for supported systems and are probably higher than the
real minimums.

A text-mode install may help.  Running a light-weight window manager
such as XFCE, rather than GNOME or KDE, will help in GUI mode -
available from CentOS extras, and/or some other EL4-compatible 3rd-party
repos.

Could try an EL4-derived LiveCD for a safe compatibility test:

http://vault.centos.org/4.4/isos/i386/CentOS-4.4-i386-LiveCD.iso

Only sure way to tell is to give the install a try on your hardware.

Phil