[WBEL-users] Anyone know about 64-bit build hosts?

Sat Sep 20 07:27:29 CDT 2008

Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I hope someone can point out my glaring mistake(s) here...
>
> Now that the last[1] 64-bit package has finished building[2], I want to
> integrate my build environments - at present, I've got a 32-bit
> installation and a 64-bit installation, and I choose the appropriate one
> at boot time.
>
> What I want to do is to be able to build the 32-bit packages in the 64-bit
> install. Which should be easy - but I can't get the hang of it.
>
> I've tried "setarch i386" on the command line. I've tried "--target=i386".
> I've added %_arch, %_target, and %_target_cpu to my rpmmacros. Still my
> test build is trying to link to a 64-bit output file[3] :-(
>
> Anyone know what incredibly obvious thing I've forgotten?
>
> Everything Google finds for me tells me to use mock - but as I'm
> bootstrapping the distribution, I don't think that will work. It'll also
> be *incredibly* slow...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Vic.
>
> [1] Well, except for openCryptoki, which really doesn't want to build -
> and I'm not suifficiently interested in it to spend much more time on it.
>
> [2] openoffice only takes 10 hours to build on my new box. And it only
> failed 3 times. Grrr.
>
> [3] Specifically, I get warnings from ld saying stuff like "i386
> architecture of input file `.libs/xa_map.o' is incompatible with
> i386:x86-64 output"

Vic,

Your best bet is to use mock on x86_64 to build i386 packages.

Fedora uses mock to build all their packages and RHEL uses something
similar (brewbuild).  CentOS builds all CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 packages
in mock, and Scientific Linux also uses mock.

When you build x86_64 packages, you need to do so in a clean buildroot
with only x86_64 packages (and glibc.i686 or glibc-devel.i386 if
required for a couple packages).

Mock allows you to do both (a clean buildroot for all packages and i386
buildroots on x86_64 machines).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS Developer