[WBEL-users] [Fwd: FC2 - Boot errors in fs/jbd/transaction.c]

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:43:35 -0500

I know this isn't the "FC2 Users List", but since WBEL and FC2 are such
close relatives, I am a WBEL user (on one computer), and I know there
are some "under the hood" knowledgeable folks here; I thought I'd ask -
any ideas?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FC2 - Boot errors in fs/jbd/transaction.c
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:22:24 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.redhat

<snip>

After I show the error, I'll tell you what happened, and my guess as to
what it is.  I don't want to bias anyone's opinion with mine.  :)

I'm running the most recent yummable kernel (I didn't write it down,
seems like it ends in .415 or something like that...)  On boot, it'll
get to "enabling swap space  [ OK ]", then I'll get this...

=-=-=-=-=

fs/jbd/transaction.c:165: spin_is_locked on unintialized spinlock 19c45ed8

fs/jbd/transaction.c:165: spinlock is already locked /132508544

fs/jbd/transaction.c:177: spin_is_locked on unintialized spinlock 19c45ed8

fs/jbd/transaction.c:165: spin_is_locked on unintialized spinlock 19c45ed8

fs/jbd/transaction.c:177: spin_is_locked on unintialized spinlock 19c45ed8

=-=-=-=-=

This computer has been locking up on me pretty bad, and this is the
latest in messages I've gotten.  I've gotten kernel panics about an
invalid pointer, and crazy diagnostic messages that didn't have anything
to do with a kernel panic (well, at least I didn't see a kernel panic
message).  I've tried booting answering "Y" to force the filesystem
integrity check, I've tried answering "I" to force interactive startup,
but nothing has gotten me to my desktop in 2 days.

 From a search online, I think this means that I have a problem with the
ext3 journal.  I also know, from a previous problem with Mozilla and
Firefox being unavailable after a computer lock-up, that they had lock
files that you could delete to free it up.  Is there some sort of
technique like that for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice...  :)

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++