[Lswtalk] Public works (RS 38:2212) question

Erin Chesnutt echesnut at beau.org
Mon Aug 6 11:14:11 CDT 2012

Hi, all.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around something and could use your
help.

I need a new branch.  This project will require : a) purchasing land on
which to put said branch b) buying a building - I'm wanting a
metal-framed, modular sort ... NOT a temporary building  c) paying
professionals to prep the site, construct the building, plumbing,
electric etc.

My questions:
1) The land purchase would be considered separate from the rest of the
project in terms of $ amounts and limits for public bid law, right?

2) Since the project IS building a branch, the entire project (b-c
above) needs to follow RS38:2212 which deals with public work contracts
rather than 38:2212.1 which deals with purchase of materials and
supplies ... right?  OR

3) Am I reading RS 38:2218(S) -
http://www.legis.louisiana.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=94916 (scroll to the
bottom)  -  wrong and this is saying that the public works contract
limit ($150,000 before bid is required) only applies to professional
fees/wages (c above)  and the supplies(b above) must then follow
RS38:2212.1?

Getting mixed signals and would appreciate the benefit of your experiences.

--
Thank you,

Erin N Chesnutt, MLIS
Director