[Lswtalk] FYI: OverDrive's Big Library Read pilot program

Loretta Gharst LGharst at calcasieu.lib.la.us
Mon May 6 08:58:39 CDT 2013

Good morning LSW,

Interesting OverDrive community read pilot program at no cost to us.
>From May 15- June 1, 2013  OverDrive will be providing unlimited simultaneous access to The Four Corners of the Sky<http://www.sourcebooks.com/store/four-corners-of-the-sky.html> by Michael Malone as part of their "Big Library Read pilot program."
This title will be prominently displayed at our OverDrive-powered library website, and discoverable through our library's catalog.  Marketing materials will be available May 10th.

Details below:

"Dear Library Partner,
We're very excited to announce a pilot program OverDrive and Sourcebooks are offering to all of our library partners entitled "Big Library Read."  Big Library Read is a no cost program in which libraries worldwide promote from their lending catalog a single eBook to their patrons. In addition to creating a global "library book club," it's designed to demonstrate the positive exposure and sales influence library eBook catalogs provide to authors and publishers. For this first pilot, it will spotlight one title for a set time period for library patrons around the world to read simultaneously.

The program is sponsored by OverDrive, with initial support and participation from Sourcebooks, Inc., a leading US independent publisher, and made possible due to the generous donation of the title from the author, Michael Malone. Together with Sourcebooks, we will be tracking interest and sales that may result for this title (in print and in eBook formats), as well as how the exposure for the author impacts sales and interest for his other books. Library Journal Magazine has agreed to assist with data review and analysis following the pilot.  We expect this will open discussions on how public libraries can organize local and regional Big Library Read eBook events, and promote authors and titles from a vast catalog of available eBooks for library lending.
We are extending this no-cost opportunity to enable your library and community to participate in this Big Library Read and join thousands of others in the US, North America and 25 other countries. Here's how it works:
How does the program work?
Library partners in the OverDrive network are invited to participate in the pilot program beginning May 15 - June 1, 2013. Participating libraries will be provided no-cost access to the librarian-selected eBook The Four Corners of the Sky<http://www.sourcebooks.com/store/four-corners-of-the-sky.html> by Michael Malone. This title will be prominently displayed at your OverDrive-powered library website, and discoverable through your library's catalog. For the pilot, the eBook will be simultaneously available for any and all readers with a library card to browse, sample, and borrow. At the end of the pilot period, the title will be removed from the collection (unless previously purchased by the library), but will be available in OverDrive's Content Reserve Marketplace to purchase for the standing collection ($9.95 USD worldwide). OverDrive will share data from the pilot with Sourcebooks and participating libraries including the exposure, sampling, checkouts and social media interaction.

What are the details for the first Big Library Read eBook?
The Four Corners of the Sky<http://www.sourcebooks.com/store/four-corners-of-the-sky.html> is master storyteller Michael Malone's novel of love, secrets, and the mysterious bonds of families. Malone brings characters to life as only he can, exploring the questions that defy easy answers: Is love a choice or a calling? Why do the ties of family bind so tightly? And is forgiveness a gift to others...or a gift we give ourselves?
Subject: Adult fiction
Formats:  OverDrive Read, Kindle (US only), EPUB, PDF
Lending model:  Simultaneous Use for May 15-June 1, 2013 and then one copy/one user following the pilot program
MARC record: OverDrive will provide a free MARC record via email to ensure the title is discoverable through your library's catalog and existing integration for early adopters of OverDrive APIs.

What are next steps?
If your library would like to participate in this pilot Big Library Read, please email me by Friday, May 10.
OverDrive is working with partner libraries around the world to provide a single, simultaneous use title that all of your patrons can read - with a valid library card, of course. Although this is a pilot, we expect that you will enjoy significant traffic and buzz about this program - which is good for you, good for the publisher and good for your readers!  And, depending on the results, we hope to be able to offer this program again - both on a worldwide scale and optionally on a local, regional or state level.
All you need to do is reply to this email by Friday, May 10 to confirm your participation, and you'll be ready for the Big Library Read.  By May 10, we'll also have marketing templates available for you customize for your community."

Loretta Gharst | Division Head Collection & Computing Services  |  Calcasieu Parish Public Library
office 337 721-7150                cell 337 515-9724                   fax 337 475-8806