[Lswtalk] Checking in after flooding

Mary Foster-Galasso mfoster2 at state.lib.la.us
Tue Aug 23 15:30:15 CDT 2016

We are fine at Evangeline in terms of branches, but local people experienced
a good bit of flooding (not life threatening but several inches of water in
homes).  Some are displaced, and the disaster relief center for the parish
is at the civic center here in Ville Platte.  The library is providing its
mobile computer lab and at least one staff member each day to help operate
it over at the civic center.  Due to this and to some other reasons, we are
running short handed and have been ever since the civic center opened for
relief operations a week ago tomorrow.

I am personally staying away from the civic center because I don't feel up
to big crowds.  Am worried about the next phase when the true disaster food
stamp relief for our parish opens, because it is supposed to be Sept. 5th
through Sept. 10th, and the 5th is Labor Day.  Am afraid the town mayor (who
happens to also be the library board president) will want to make sure the
civic center is staffed Labor Day, and my staff are tired and really looking
forward to a break.  As with Katrina, we may not be given a choice.

What the center is doing now is getting people signed on with FEMA (a couple
of FEMA guys are there) and getting people to pre apply for disaster food
stamps.  Unfortunately folks pre applying do not seem to understand that
NOBODY in Evangeline Parish is going to be approved for disaster food stamps
until Sept. 5th through Sept. 10th, and they want to check the status of
their applications.  Nothing we can do about that, either at the civic
center or at the libraries, other than try to explain to them they will have
to wait.

The Red Cross gave out meals there yesterday, businesses are donating stuff
people can take, and Mrs. Edwards came by a couple of days ago.

Mary