[Lswtalk] copyright help needed

Erin Chesnutt echesnut at beau.org
Mon Jan 30 12:19:35 CST 2017

My two cents, for what's it worth (surely that's not more than about 2
cents) :

1) Do you require patrons to sign anything - either when they get a
username / password OR each time they log in - or click an "I agree"
button stating that they will, essentially, not do anything illegal and
that, if they do, the library's not responsible for it?   If not, I'd start.

2) Usually those sorts of letters will have an originating mac address
and time stamp.  Can you not use that information to figure out - or, at
least, narrow down - who the culprit is?

3) Get back in touch with your internet provider and see if they can
tell you anything about the site being used improperly to help figure
out if there's an entire site you need to block.

4) Talk to your DA's office (or whoever your legal rep is) to determine
your next steps and true liability. In my limited experience, those
letters try to use the "YOU'RE LIABLE"  scare tactic regardless of it
you are or are not truly liable.  I know in our cases, we weren't, but I
don't know if that's because we could identify the actual patron
responsible and pass-the-buck, so to speak.

When we've received similar digital rights violation notifications in
the past, we pass them on to the patron responsible.  We require our
patrons to have a registered username with us that they use to log on to
any of our computers, so it's relatively easy for us to know who the
letter goes to.

Erin N. Chesnutt, MLIS
Director
*/Beauregard Parish Library/*/