[Lswtalk] Overdrive - get a library card

Erin Chesnutt echesnut at beau.org
Mon Oct 23 14:37:08 CDT 2017

Hi, all!

Did you guys see / hear about the Get a Library Card (GLC) initiative
from OD that let's patrons in your service area use their zip code and
mobile number to apply for a mock library card to use in OD so they
don't have to come in to the library?

It's a pilot program, but they plan - as I understand it - to eventually
allow the library to set how long the mock card can be used (during
pilot program, it expires after 1 year) and the library can also access
the list of registered GLC users for their area to a) count them as
library card holders, if you so choose and b) reach out to the patron to
encourage them to get a full library card.

I'm interested in possibly exploring this (depending on how the pilot
program pans out) but I don't know if this is a service we could sign up
for individually or if the whole consortium would need to sign up.
Anyone else want to discuss at an upcoming LSW meeting?

http://blogs.overdrive.com/featured-post-library-blog/2017/10/17/get-a-library-card/

--

Erin N. Chesnutt, MLIS
Director