[Lswtalk] OD's Get a Library Card program thought

Loretta Gharst LGharst at calcasieulibrary.org
Fri Jul 13 14:46:31 CDT 2018

Sounds like a good idea. We will ask.

Loretta

-----Original Message-----
From: lswtalk-bounces at beau.org <lswtalk-bounces at beau.org> On Behalf Of Erin Chesnutt
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 2:39 PM
To: lswtalk at beau.org; Aaron Webster <awebster at calcasieulibrary.org>
Cc: Acqteam <acqteam at beau.org>
Subject: [Lswtalk] OD's Get a Library Card program thought

LSW Overdrive partners :

I love the concept of the Get a Library Card (GLC) program we've been piloting with OD but, as you know, have my hangups about it.

Picture the pop-up window that appears when you first open Overdrive's website or the Overdrive Media Console app (Libby doesn't seem to do it). You know the one that says "Need a card? Get one using your mobile number. <Start here.>    /    <No thanks, I have a card. Sign in>"? Do you guys think OD would be receptive to giving equal space and emphasis to in the pop-up to the "Start here"  and "I already have a card / Sign in with existing card" buttons?

I know it's a minor thing but it really bugs me that we've got existing users in good standing wasting $$ (albeit less that $1 at a time) to get another number to use to access the materials they already had access to.  I'm wondering if some / most of that is because you're forced to click /something/ to get past that pop-up and actually use the product and the most obviously clickable thing is the button that leads you to use your cell number.

That was largely grammatically incorrect, but my soap box doesn't care.
Excuse me.
--

Erin N. Chesnutt, MLIS
Director