[Lswtalk] OD's Get a Library Card program thought

Erin Chesnutt echesnut at beau.org
Fri Jul 13 14:39:21 CDT 2018

LSW Overdrive partners :

I love the concept of the Get a Library Card (GLC) program we've been
piloting with OD but, as you know, have my hangups about it.

Picture the pop-up window that appears when you first open Overdrive's
website or the Overdrive Media Console app (Libby doesn't seem to do
it). You know the one that says "Need a card? Get one using your mobile
number. <Start here.>    /    <No thanks, I have a card. Sign in>"?
Do you guys think OD would be receptive to giving equal space and
emphasis to in the pop-up to the "Start here"  and "I already have a
card / Sign in with existing card" buttons?

I know it's a minor thing but it really bugs me that we've got existing
users in good standing wasting $$ (albeit less that $1 at a time) to get
another number to use to access the materials they already had access
to.  I'm wondering if some / most of that is because you're forced to
click /something/ to get past that pop-up and actually use the product
and the most obviously clickable thing is the button that leads you to
use your cell number.

That was largely grammatically incorrect, but my soap box doesn't care.
Excuse me.
--

Erin N. Chesnutt, MLIS
Director