[WBEL-devel] Reply-to (was RE: rsync mirror...)

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:30:35 -0500 (EST)

John Morris  said:
>> P.S. - John, Any chance of fixing the reply-to on the mailing lists?
>> The
>> current setting discourages community discussion.
>
> It was discussed early on and the consensus was to leave forced reply-to
> headers off.  I know I have accidentally forgot and left the list out of
> one or two, but my fingers have adapted.  So question to the list: It has
> been a week or two, leave it this way or change it?

I would say that people's views will not be different.

Especially since the move to Mailman, which includes the list-* headers,
having the Reply-to left at the poster makes sense.  Any compliant mail
reader will then pick up on the fact it is a list and offer a "reply to
list" option.

That said, some procmail magic can change the reply-to for anyone that
wants it different (obviously it is easier to change from individual ->
list than list -> individual, but it should be doable).

Sorry to put it this way, John, but this isn't going to be decided
democratically (unless you want to change it every few weeks).  As list
admin, this is one of those cases you need to make the decision and
everyone else can just live with it.  I don't recall (though I could be
mistaken) a consensus on the Subject mudging, but it seems to be here.

--
William Hooper