[WBEL-devel] Suggesting YAML

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:32:43 -0500

I would like to suggest Yet Another Mailing List. This list be named
WBEL-Update. This list be one way, we sign up, but only the powers that
be with regards to announcing updates, have the ability to send from it.
I would find this to be most useful for two big reasons. First, I could
easily filter this list to a different mailbox, making update
announcements stand out from the general traffic. Yes, sometimes I don't
have time and I just go delete delete delete... I'd hate to miss an
important update.

Second, this would increase security a bit, particularly in these
startup phases and later for any newbies to WBEL. If we do all the
annoucements via the regular list, anyone could set up a bogus site with
a bogus program, put the link on the list and 'announce' an important
update. Particularly those which will not be able to be done by up2date,
such as up2date itself. Could be a big problem should an evil mind
decide to take over a bunch of machines.

Bonus: And for this list, there will never be a discussion about how to
set the reply-to headers! :)

Great work people!

Best,
John Hinton