[WBEL-devel] Suggesting YAML

Simon J Mudd sjmudd@pobox.com
08 Dec 2003 19:48:29 +0100

jmorris@beau.org (John Morris) writes:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:
>
> > Also, on the subject of mailing lists, it would be nice to host them from
> > the whiteboxlinux.org domain so that if a generous benefactor steps forward
> > to host them (when they get too big for the library to host) it wouldn't be
> > as much of a pain to move the mailing lists from one host to another without
> > causing pains to the subscribers.  Would look more professional, too.
>
> whiteboxlinx.org runs on the same machine as beau.org. While you can run
> mail on the alternate domains, you hit problems.  Receiving mail addressed
> to whiteboxlinux.org would be trivial, having it originate from that name
> is harder.  A real sendmail wizard might be able to make mail originate
> from the correct IP but I haven't had any luck at it and in today's world
> of overly aggresive spam filtering, having mail from whiteboxlinux.org
> originate from an IP that reverses to beau.org would mean a lot of
> rejected mail.

If you're interested in setting this up with Postfix (you may not want
to change to another MTA) then to do this is trivial.

You either setup the MLM to run as it it originates from WBL, or you
setup the MTA to "translate" the addresses to come from WBL.

I'm sure you can do this in sendmail too, but I gave up on sendmail a
long time ago.

Postfix works pretty well, performs better than sendmail, and it's
configuration is much simpler.  Not wanting to change when you know
your current setup is certainly understandable, but if you would like
to talk to me about what would need to be done let me know (offlist).

Simon