[WBEL-devel] Some things I have found with RC-2

Joel Macklow joelm@webservices.net.nz
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:52:13 +1300

First up, what a fantastic project.  I am looking to use WBEL3 on a world facing web
server and love the idea of being able to get errata for 5 years before having to
upgrade.  I have been using Linux of various distros since 1996, most recently
Gentoo 1.4 (before a HDD failure) but am actually a IT Consultant/PHP Programmer
by trade.

Heres what I have come across so far with RC2

only a liitle thing but I had to change the yum.conf as follows:

[updates-released]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/3.0-RC2/en/updates/

#[updates-testing]
#name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://whiteboxlinux.org/pub/$releasever/en/os/testing/

seems that $releasever identifies itself as 3WB from memory.  This of course
generates a 404 error collecting updates from the server.  After changing this yum
updates worked like a charm.  Props to whoever got the gcc, kernel and rsync rpms
done and up. The rsync vulnerablity is only recent and for a newish project the errata
release speed is excellent.

There is a circular dependancy between ghostscript and gimp-print.  This is not really
WBEL problem as far as I can tell.  It also was in taroon from what I have found.  I
found this trying to uninstall cups, because a server does not have a printer attached,
which has deps all over the place.

For interests sake, I have installed it on a P3/500, 1Gb RAM, 2 x WD Caviar 80Gb
8Mb cache.  3 x RAID1 volumes, /boot, swap and /.

Am going to test the RAID out, will let ppl know if they are interested.

Go Hard.

Joel

Joel Macklow
Solutions Engineer