[WBEL-devel] Questions RE WhiteBox Linux..

Scott W wegster@mindcore.net
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:01:48 -0500

Hey all- I realize this should likely go to the users list, but there
appears to be little activity there as far as I can tell.

First, I want to say thanks and good job- RedHat's been driving me
insane with their pricing and 'strategy' since they dropped the
PowerTools CD...and it's pretty unlikely many people have the ~$1500 or
so for the ES/AS line unless they have it at work.  I've thought about
trying to compile RHAS from source several times,

Anyways, a few questions/concerns:

1.  RedHat seems to have butchered the kernel pretty badly for the AS/ES
series, intermingling some of their in-house drivers with the standard
kernel tree (tried forever unsuccessfully to rebuild taroon's kernel
without RH QLA2200 support, using the native driver only, among other
problems).  I guess the concern is this- AFAIK, WhiteBox is running a
'standard' kernel from kernel.org or from RH9.  With AS/ES being
'certified' for use with Oracle and other big name software, what are
the chances of RH's 'tweaked' kernel solving problems (performance or
other) that the standard kernel branche, and thus WBL, don't?  In other
words, how closely is WBL going to attempt to track RH*S changes and
tweaks so users can still run 'RH*S certified) apps without issues?

2.  Updates- Another obnoxiousness from RH- AFAIK, unregistered RH*S
users are unable to use up2date without purchasing a support agreement.
Are there any plans in place to provide a means to perhaps use up2date
with a 3rd party server, mirroring the RH*S fixes?

3.  TODO list?  I've seen the Known Bugs listing, but it lists somewhere
around a half dozen items only...I'm sure there's GOT to be more than that??

4.  FAQ/more info- yep, read the HOWTO link, which is good reading, but
the fact I'm asking #s1-3 above makes me thing WBL could certainly use
some more docs ;-)  Anything planned or any links I've missed?

Thanks,

Scott