[WBEL-devel] finally installed RC2 last night

Daniel Robitaille whitebox@robitaille.fastmail.fm
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:30:35 -0800

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:
> > The hardware it is installed on:  an older PI, 233Mhz with 96 megs of
> > memory.
>
> I'm glad to hear it scales down!  I've got it on higher end desktops right
> now, all P4's ranging from 1.4GHz to 3.0GHz.  I never even thought to
> install it on some of my slower hardware at home.

that machine has been happily running RedHat8 and 9 for quite a while in
a desktop configuration  (i.e  mostly web surfing/e-mail) WBEL seems to
close to RHL9 speed-wise after 24 hours of tests (which is not
surprising since they are relatively close application-version-wise).

The trick is not to be greedy and turn off any services not needed, not
to use KDE but Gnome without any bells and whistles, and try to stay
clear of big application like OpenOffice as much as possible (but it
will run it; it just take a long while to start it up).

But it makes for a very usable desktop system on a VERY affordable
hardware platform.

And that what makes WBEL appealing for these type of older computers:
WBEL is probably going to be the last OS this particular hardware will
see before it dies. With a ~5 years estimated EOL, the hardware will
most probably not outlast the OS. And using WBEL will avoid forced
upgrades from other Linus distro that will make the machine become less
and less usable for the users due to continous addition of new
memory/cpu-expensive features.

--
Daniel Robitaille